My Answer is YES, It does help you a lot.
Here is a small example which should explain every thing before that have a look at the illustration
What do you gain in a Large / Big Company?
- Good Salaries
- Good Position
What do you loose?
- You are lost in bunch of herds
- You just do a mechanical job, no mind, just work
- passion towards work is lost
What do you gain in small company?
- Self respect for your work
- Learning curve is high ( multifaceted job roles )
- You problems are always in reach for it to be solved
What you loose?
- Nothing but money.
- TIME, you end up coming late to home, because you have more work to finish
So what I suggest is that if you want to build a stronger career.
You need to shift from BIG to small start-ups where people look at you as a role model and it is the right opportunity to learn new skill-sets as most start-ups will lesser people and more work
As you learn more skillset you need to encash them at the right time move to BIGGER company learn some new standards, trend in the market etc, you make money move to smaller company again, but you would have noticed the graph the curve tend to go up the negative side as companies too become big over a period of time
PS:This is my perception as I have experienced with my friends and myself, if you think, you probably know that passion is the one which drives you from home to office you could choose to be at midsized orgainisation where you get money and be passionate about your work. Once you are stabilized in your career, you could choose to be anywhere and do your passion.